Okay I’m not being one of those obnoxious I-only-shop-at-Whole-Foods-and-Farmer’s-Markets-Thumpers when I say this – but I freaking LOVE quinoa. Obviously not more than I love a slice of cake or a pitcher of margaritas but for foods I can actually eat on a daily basis – quinoa is a fine motherf*cker.
It’s extremely healthy and low in fat, carbs, calories, and pretty much everything else that’s a downer for the fitness fanatics.
I almost always have it in salad form. It so fresh and light I swear you can have like 3 plates and not feel full and bloated afterwards. Yes this is how I feel after meals that are bigger than usual and I’m not ashamed to admit that it. My eyes are bigger than my stomach (on most occasions) so this stuff is perfect to binge on.
Below is one of my FAV recipes. Easy to make (this is coming from someone who finds it tedious to blend a smoothie or cut up vegetables so trust me).
Check it out:
- 1 cup Quinoa
- 15 ounces Black beans (or one can)
- 1 1/4 cups Diced Tomatoes
- 3/4 cup Cut red onion
- 1 Diced apple
- 1 Diced avacado
- 1 dash Olive oil
- 1 dash Fresh lemon juice
- Bring your water to a boil and add quinoa. Cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 12 minutes or until the water is absorbed…
- While your quinoa is cooking dice up your tomatoes into bite size pieces. Do this for your apple and avocado as well. Peel apart the red onion ring style (keeps them nice and thin). Cut the rings into small bite size pieces (about 3/4 of an inch long).
- In a mixing bowl add the cooked quinoa, then diced tomatoes/apple/avocado/onion and the rinsed black beans.
- To finish take one or two thin wedges of lemon and squeeze over top, and then add a splash of olive oil. Mix it all together and you’re done son.
*You can pretty much add whatever you want to this salad. There are so many recipes out there to change it up so that it doesn’t get boring. I submerge mine with balsamic glaze and hot sauce because I love it and I have no qualms when I take Instagram food shots of meals doused in sauce. Ugly yes. Tasteless? No.